Marketing Research Glossary - V

Validation: The process of verifying that interviews were conducted as specified. For example, when Decision Analyst subcontracts surveys to Field services, Decision Analyst validates at the 20% level. If any problems are detected, then Decision Analyst validates the remaining 80% of the surveys.

Validation Data: In mathematical modeling, observations or data excluded from the training data set. Once the model is developed, the validation dataset is used to test predictive accuracy.

Validity: A study is valid or has validity if it measures what it sought to measure.

Value Optimization: A set of quantitative techniques that model the attributes and behaviors that characterize customers that are most valuable to a company over the customer lifecycle. These lifetime value models allow companies to target these customers in their customer database and to seek out additional prospects that are like them. Learn More

Variability: The degree of movement or fluctuation in variables or measurements.

Variable: A measurement or term in an equation that can change in value (i.e., vary).

Variable Selection: In machine learning, the process of selecting variables to use in a mathematical model.

Variance: The sums of the squared deviations from the mean, divided by the number of observations minus one.

Verbal Protocols: A technique used to understand respondents' thought processes while they are performing a task or making a decision by asking them to think aloud.

Verbatim: The respondent's exact answer to an open-ended question, recorded precisely, word-for-word. Verbatim is a term used to describe transcripts of focus groups and depth interviews.

Verification: See Key Verifying.

Video Focus Groups: Focus groups that are conducted in a facility and broadcast to observers in distant locations. Also, refers to focus groups wherein remote respondents are linked using video technology.

Viewing Room: A room with a one-way mirror from which people can observe and listen to focus groups. Also called the Observation Room or Back Room.

Virtual Group: A general term to cover any form of group discussion using electronic means where participants do not see each other. Examples of virtual groups are online group discussions, moderated email groups, and chat rooms.

Virtual Reality (VR): An artificial environment that is experienced through sensory stimuli provided by a computer. Learn More

Virtual Shelf Set: See Shelf Set.

Voice Pitch Analysis: The study of changes in the relative vibration frequency of the human voice to measure emotion.

VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol): Voice conversations transmitted over the Internet.

Volumetric Choice Modeling: A multivariate statistical technique that is used to simulate real-world consumer purchasing behavior. Volumetric choice modeling is ideal for product categories where (a) multiple products are purchased over relatively short periods of time and (b) repeat purchase volume is an important consideration. Learn More

Volumetric Analysis: A mathematical model that analyzes year-one retail depletions in units and dollars. Learn More

Volumetric Forecasting: Sometimes referred to as sales forecasting, volumetric forecasting usually projects sales volume of a single, often new, or newly modified, product or service. Learn More

VPN (Virtual Private Network): This type of network is used to communicate in private over the Internet. A VPN may be used by a company or group of companies.

Contact Decision Analyst

If you would like more information on Marketing Research, please contact Jerry W. Thomas by emailing or calling 1-817-640-6166.